Treaty 6 Regional ScienceFair
15 February, 2008 by cara.greyeyes
Treaty 6 held their Regional Science Fair on Wednesday, Feb 6, 2008 at the Blue Quills College Gymnasium in St. Paul, Alberta. This event was hosted by the Tribal Chiefs Institute.
The Treaty Six Regional Science Fair Society aims to encourage a broad range of Science related student work. It is open to all students from Grades four to twelve from a Treaty Six First Nations School. All projects are entered by grade level.
Students were able to enter in Experiments, Studies, or Innovations.
Experiments – an experiment is an investigation undertaken to test a specific idea/concept
Studies – a study project involves on going research
Innovations – an innovation involves the development and evaluation of devices, models, techniques or processes.
Elementary – Grades 4, 5, and 6
Junior – Grades 7 and 8
Senior – Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12
First, Second, and Third Prizes awarded for each grade level.
Grade 11 – 1st Place: What Mercury Poisoning Does to You! – Jenna, Kehewin School
Grade 10 – 1st Place: What’s the Flavor? – Randall, Kisipatnahk School
Grade 9 – 1st Place: Global Warming – Billy Jean, Goodfish Lake School
- 2nd Place: Uses of Buffalo – Craig, Le Goff School
- 3rd Place: Global Warming – Amanda, Kehewin School
Grade 8 – 1st Place: Native Beadwork – Keasha, Kehewin School
- 1st Place: Construction of Teepee vs Tent – Kristen & Mandy, Paul Band First Nation School
- 2nd Place: Suicide & Bullying – Erin & Kim, Kehewin School
- 3rd Place: The Art of Hoop Dance – Lisa & Jessica, Chief Napeweaw School
Grade 7 – 1st Place: Hare of a Different Color – Kirsten & Michelle, LeGoff School
- 2nd Place: What does Junkfood do to your Body? – Ashton & Nancy, Kisipatnahk School
- 2nd Place: Exploring Temperatures – Tanner & Lepone
- 3rd Place: Dream Catchers – Cheyanna & Brittany, LeGoff School
Grade 6 - 1st Place: Rat Root – Deion & Sarah, LeGoff School
- 2nd Place: Volcanoes – Tyrade & Catherine, Kehewin School
- 2nd Place: Birch Bark – Aaron & Tatyana, LeGoff School
- 3rd Place: Buffalo – Vera, Kehewin School
Grade 5 - 1st Place: Totem Poles – Elayna & Elijah, Le Goff School
- 2nd Place: Sweat Lodge – Darion, Mariah, & Maureen, LeGoff School
- 3rd Place: Harmful Effects of Tobacco Smoke – Terrance, Kenneth, & Shondene, Kehewin School
Grade 4 - 1st Place: Sound of Jingle Bells – Neyanah, Onchaminahos School
- 2nd Place: Bald Eagles – Kyle & Shaun, LeGoff School
- 3rd Place: Volcanoes – Temeera & Tania – Kehewin School
Highlights from Treaty 6 Regional Science Fair